Wynyard Walled Garden

Location: Wynyard Hall, Tees Valley
Client: Cameron Hall Developments
Status: Completed August 2015

Project Description:
Wynyard Hall is a Grade II* listed country house dating from 1846 which sits within an expansive area of landscaped parkland. Sir John Hall acquired the Wynyard Estate in 1987 and embarked upon a programme to restore the historic hall and parkland, with the hall opening to visitors as a four-star luxury hotel in 2008.

Central to the restoration of the estate has been the reopening of the historic walled garden in August 2015. IDPartnership contributed to this by designing the new Visitor Centre, which houses a cafe and farm shop, within the walled garden. Previously, IDPartnership had designed the Grand Marquee, which opened in summer 2014, and sits adjacent to the garden.

The transformed rose garden, designed by mutli-Royal Horticultural Society award-winning designer Alistair Baldwin, contains 3,000 roses (140 varieties and the largest gathering in Britain) and other perennials (12,000), several water features and scenic seating areas. The aim of the transformation has been to provide a series of tourist attractions, providing an appropriate setting for public enjoyment for what has been privately appreciated for centuries.